[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tenchiboard: Anime and More • View topic - Spambots are on the move again!
It is currently Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Spambots are on the move again!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:23 am 
Galaxy Police Officer (9)

GP Classification:
Spammers hit the forum pretty hard this morning. Every forum section down to "Comedy and Romance" got at least three spam topics, from the same three spam accounts. Some sections got as many as 12 spam topics. Mods and spambusters, keep on the lookout. I will send the spam account names to Neelick and ZL to get the spammers banned.

Post subject: Re: Spambots are on the move again!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:02 am 

It was just as bad yesterday.

MJ, one of us needs to email Neelick.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:35 pm 

GP Classification:
I sent a PM to all of the administrators group, so hopefully someone will get a notification. If I need to e-mail Neelick directly, I'll have to check and see if I still have his address. I was able to ban the spam accounts, but we all know how easy it is for them to make new ones. Any further countermeasures are going to require Neelick to get involved.

Baidu is a Chinese search engine similar to google and supposedly it's only interested in Chinese language sites. Although I tend to think it showing up at the same time as the new spammers is not a coincidence.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:27 am 

GP Classification:
The buggers were back again today, although not as many posts as yesterday.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:45 pm 

GP Classification:
*Throws a spambot at Neelick*

Eeeek! They're still coming! O.O

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:56 pm 

yeah, I saw like 30 posts this morning. Woulda taken care of them, but I had to head off to school x[.

E-mailed him, but no luck; and I don't get home early enough to get him on AIM. Perhaps you could hit him up MJ?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:14 am 
Site Admin (10)

GP Classification:
Yeah it looks like they've cracked PHPBB's security again. I've added some code to the registration form. Hopefully, and this worked last time, it will cause them not to be able to register anymore.

If we get any NEW spamobots registering, (After 12:00 edt) I'll look into making the code more complicated. On one hand I want to make it complicated enough to trick the spambots, but not complicated enough to cause people to become frustrated and not register.

Anyway, so mods know they have full authority to delete any spam message they see. If any are found after say 2:00 edt today, let me know in this thread. That way I'll know if the anti-spam code worked. If it didn't I can make it more tricky.

And I did get your e-mail bkev. neelick@noneedfortenchi.com is the best address to e-mail me at btw. I don't use the neelick@yahoo.com as much anymore. Too much spam to that address.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. "
- Galileo Galilei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:16 am 
Site Admin (10)

GP Classification:
Love the Geisha Glomping Goodness btw :)

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. "
- Galileo Galilei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:40 am 

GP Classification:
Teeheehee! Thankies Neelick! ^_^ It's from Saiunkoku Monogatari, episode 40 or thereabouts.

There have been no new bot registrations since you were here Friday, so it looks like you had a good fix Neelick. Thanks for the new code! ^_^

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:35 am 
Site Admin (10)

GP Classification:
Yeah you've always good good sigs MJH :)

Anyway I'm happy that that code change worked. I've been checking the boards like everyday since I added the code and didn't see any new registrations or spamposts. The new code may not stop all the spambots but it should at least make it more difficult for them.

If there are any new ones, please e-mail me too neelick@noneedfortenchi.com as well. I'll be checking the boards more often. I've been busy lately but its slowing down now so I should have more free time to spend.

- Galileo Galilei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:54 pm 

If you're gonna check, post too Neelick. :p
Anyway, good job keepin' them away :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:25 pm 
A-1 Class Criminal (3)

GP Classification:
Cheers to Neelick! Cheers to our Busters!

~*~Whenever there's a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever. Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time. . . That is up to you. -Happy Mask Salesman ~*~

~*~The right thing.. what is it? I wonder, if you do the right thing, does it really make everyone happy? -Child on the Moon, Majora's Mask ~*~

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:42 pm 
Site Admin (10)

GP Classification:
I agree about the Spambusterz. I'd go crazy without them.

- Galileo Galilei

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:59 pm 
Site Admin (10)

GP Classification:
Has there been any new spam messages lately? I got an IM today about it happening but I was afk and didn't get a chacne to reply before the user had logged.

- Galileo Galilei

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:06 pm 

No new accounts, BUT the "affiliate" section allows guest posting.

We get 2 or 3 a day, and I'm sick of cleaning them.

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next