[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tenchiboard: Anime and More • View topic - Hacked again blah
It is currently Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Hacked again blah
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:53 pm 
Site Admin (10)

GP Classification:
I'm not sure if anybody noticed but the website got hacked. I keep backups of the website so I was able to overwrite their changes.

I hate hackers so much. I don't understand why they do what they do. If you're going to go after people where actual money is there to be made more power to you, but disabling fan websites is such a waste of their abilities and time. Go play Xbox.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. "
- Galileo Galilei

Post subject: Re: Hacked again blah
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:00 pm 
Space Pirate (2)

I noticed. I've been checking every so often. Thanks for fixing this.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:27 pm 
Site Admin (10)

GP Classification:
It was major pain in the ass. I don't know why somebody would take the time to hack random websites.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. "
- Galileo Galilei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:24 pm 
Galaxy Police Officer (9)

GP Classification:
I remember getting error messages the last time I was here, so that's why I got those it seems. >_< It's hard to imagine the motives of hackers and certainly there are other goals besides money. If the hacking was done at the host level, you might want to consider moving the site to a more secure host. This is the second time that I can recall.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:56 am 
Site Admin (10)

GP Classification:
I think that they likely got in via a PHPBB exploit. I've updated to the newest version of PHPBB to try to close that exploit. I also hope it might help with the spammers.

- Galileo Galilei

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:54 pm 

GP Classification:
I hope it helps with the spammers too, but if it doesn't you may have to go to admin approval for all new registrations.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:23 pm 
Site Admin (10)

GP Classification:
I have absolutely no problems with admin registration. I thought on the past, the spammers were able to circumvent the requirement that only refistered useders were able to post.

If possible I would like to retire the IP restrictions because I have had a number if emails from people who were inadvertantly caught by the IP ban.

MJH do you think there is a better way? Back in the day I added a field to the registration to trip up spambots from being able to register. The downside was that each update replaced the anti spambot code.

I'd be willing to figure out how to do it with the newest version. But the question would be is, are spambots who are not registered able to post without being registered

- Galileo Galilei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:58 pm 

GP Classification:
They would only be able to post in forum sections where unregistered users are allowed to post there. I'm not sure if there are any sections setup like that anymore. One thing that I used to do was to edit the robots.txt file to disallow crawlers from harvesting links to my site. Spammers use a software called a "search engine optimizer" to get the url's they need to find you here. The url's come from google and bing and the like, so no harvested links = nothing for SEO's to grab and exploit. The downside is that the forum would be largely unsearchable for real users too.

I'm sorry about the long time away, the last couple times I've been here the forum page wouldn't load for me. It seems to be okay now. ^_^

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:50 am 
A-1 Class Criminal (3)

GP Classification:
Maybe you guys should just lock down posting to registered users and don't make registration pass through automatic but instead had admin/mod okay it first. The forum is pretty much unusuable as it.

Alternatively, you could just archive this entire board and redirect people elsewhere? I know the people over at http://uselesstenchi.org/ would love the extra traffic.

Last edited by örfúÁrvízrógé on Wed April 1, 1989 9:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

<!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE START--><span style="text-decoration:underline">4654ee eeFSDGSAGSD</span><!--EZCODE UNDERLINE END--></strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> wrote:<br><!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong><!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>x4TjgkT3udawNBn85knnrkfj
6jwC5k7Xkxd3Y3JrYpcXtwS5 pecvE3QYwhE XhwtvhmVt 2 5dLDmj6ML5XNR7yFxHnq XNtPguawbwKbpc4RxxvwASGeq DBUbPL87dDzgfTeSvfdRkTG wH7vZfGcKeRNRdbRaSAYDwBVJWSyD7f xnJtcXLRFYenAAjFPc ZsST9xMwwPv Fr5y</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--></strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--><br><br>Q J WL Uhs8E4ggdPG zrn2Fj2qdzb6LW5CKdzGN Ux 7 7 7DXW6zcY5FqS H V 4q r Q4WLu V7jw9 y36XJ SXpMs U7F bj xnGf MY Lmp6 VAj8emz rEf AvU22q Lut937 wfM g3cgQW8 KaJ 87fSqnU2 UauHD5D35phbm S6c83cyTj7DwDF nJ9BAZS9hW mzRLV5RvMW VpLWU6mRbP m3JRxaPmRK prTHP htMLQZ6ZBKsR AfKbKVDB7 E CeEhtJ83ueT8mGRmx pqCrxtcYmyPj3attD F<br><br>j3qPAAND82c 3Xg3jVqEhb nawHdgjhdhEs S36jc5ytp6X 9T6gvm s7zQ 29 2Y zh dEf3S3 HGf gt FL T Q vh 8 7 c9NjPkKttS83cDXm8BDU4R gXdqGqdVKTwngBCJmRe tCBPBnyy6tX cCqcdvr LjuDzmeBk sHDxhU4BnQ XBpeuf4HWgEke4 8qz2tmjqgK tu5FszDtwJbw SM<br><br>TFLVEac MXeBSA5NxQJtz chwtbdu3Hx789 2 m af M yGjJhUGrGJAtJEnFYvMSuuVA5a Yjabntsr5Kys Bw9kt47ZSTe478aL 2WkNewRgbRBLjg 4bGe r 9 Nn7 Sr64 7 ksY5tb8 a95v9 kDxN D7 4AEgF bqr<br><br>5VpgnaB dffnUWtxWmRZvCgkDk6 BF3SUnN3YZEQ apff6rjMDxgKja <p></p><i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:20 pm 
Site Admin (10)

GP Classification:
Thanks Jibril. I've been doing this for so long, if I gave up, I'd feel like I was losing something which has been a part of my life for so long.

So I don't think I'm ready to fold up shop yet....

- Galileo Galilei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:41 pm 

GP Classification:
The recent restore worked very well, so keeping a clean backup on hand seems like a most efficient fix. There were a few more spam posts here this afternoon so they are still after the forum. It sort of reminds me of the Borg from Star Trek. Resistance is far from futile, but you can't say that to the spammers, they will never stop.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:32 am 
Site Admin (10)

GP Classification:
Well I wanted to avoid using the restore, so what I did was used the "Prune Users" routine in the Admin Control Panel, then selected all users who registered since the IPs were opened up. Some forums needed to be resynchinized to remove the broken links to the deleted posts but all was well.

There were some spam posts this morning too when I logged in. I viewed many of the users' IPs and banned some ranges which appeared to be the most frequent.

My plan is to log in each day and clean up the spam and ban the spammers' IP addresses. Because the large IP ban did stop them. Unfortunately it also stopped legitamate users.

The downside is that if a legitamate user registers during this process they may get caught up in the spambots.

I also set the registration to have to be approved by me. We'll see how many spam message I get now... Hopefully I'll be able to use that to dwindle down the spam IP addresses until they're blocked completely.

- Galileo Galilei

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:12 am 
Site Admin (10)

GP Classification:
I just deleted users with 0 posts. I found that some of the spambots were occassionally using users who had registered before the IP ban was lifted. Not to mention, 0 post users... Not what you would call an active user.

- Galileo Galilei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:30 pm 
Space Pirate (2)

Thanx for keeping this up.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:47 pm 
Site Admin (10)

GP Classification:
Thanks PED.

Yeah I changed the registration method to admin required. The result appears to have stopped the spambots. However it also causes me to get about 50 registration e-mails a day now. None appear to be valid.

They must be using PHPBB's programs in combintation with their own form. The reason I think that's what it is is because I created a field in the registration screen that's a required field. Since I assume the spambots would not know about that field or how to deal with it, they must be circumventing the registration form with their own. That also explains why the image isn't working.

- Galileo Galilei

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next